Getting to Corfu
Corfu International Airport “Ioannis Kapodistrias” (CFU) has direct correspondence with many European cities. The easiest and hassle free method to reach downtown Corfu from the airport is by taxi, as the distance is more than 3 kilometers.
Corfu can also be reached by car though the port of Igoumenitsa. For information on the time schedule of ferries call +30 2661365200. The duration of the journey is approximately from 1 hour and 25 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the boat. The easiest and hassle free method to reach any destination away of Corfu town from the port is by taxi. Additionally, the port authorities run a free of charge bus that carries boat passengers to the eastern-most part of the port, with a walking distance to downtown Corfu less than 20 minutes (1.4 kilometers).
Please note that July is high season period in Corfu, so ticket and room availability is expected to be extremely limited if arrangements are not made in advance.
General information on public transportation within Corfu
Public transportation in Corfu is divided based on colour:
- the (mostly) green coloured buses, also titled “ktel” or “iperastiko”, link suburban/ interurban areas with the main town of Corfu, Kerkyra or “poli”
- the blue buses, titled “astiko”, that although are titled as urban service, also service suburban areas
Taxi services are available 24 hours a day. There are specific places where you can get a taxi during day and night. You can also arrange an appointment for your transfer from any place to any place you wish by phone (+30 26610 33811) or by completing a reservation form in the related website (https://www.corfutaxi.gr/).
Maximum price for one way transfer to/from Corfu Airport/Corfu Port/green bus terminal from/to almost everywhere in Corfu town should cost 18-20 euros.
Each taxi is licensed to carry up to 4 people, including children and luggage. You can also request special services such as transfer for people with special needs, unattended children or VIP, by placing an appointment at least 24 hours before.
Access to the Venue
The Ionian Academy of the Ionian University is located in 1, Kapodistriou str. which is directly accessible using public transportation. The airport and the port are within a 5 minute driving distance. Walking to the venue from the furthest part of downtown Corfu Town is a pleasant 10-15 minutes stroll through the historic center.
The Department of History of the Ionian University is located in 72, Ioannou Theotoki str. which is directly accessible using public transportation. The airport is within a 5 minute driving distance. The port is within a 10 minute walking distance. Walking to the venue from the furthest part of downtown Corfu Town is a pleasant 15-20 minutes stroll.
From San Rocco Square (departure and terminal point), you can get on all blue buses. San Rocco is 5 minutes stroll to the Department of History building (72, Ioannou Theotoki str) and 7-9 minutes stroll to the Ionian Academy building (1, Kapodistriou str.).
Useful phone numbers
- Kapodistrias airport: +30 26610 89600
- Aegean Airlines: +30 801-11-20000, +30 210 9988300, +30 26610 27008
- Olympic Airlines: +30 26610 22963, +30 210 9666666
- Port authority (Corfu): +30 2661365200
- Port authority (Igoumenitsa): +30 26650 22235, (Patras): +30 2610 341002
- Local buses: +30 26610 31595
- Intercity buses: +30 26610 39985 (Corfu) and +30 210 5125954, +30 210 5129443, +30 210 5124914 (Athens)
- Taxi: +30 26610 33811
- Police: +30 2661039509, 30188
- Tourist police: +30 26610 30265
- Hospital: +30 26610 45811-5
Information for locations of interest